The Children’s Defense Fund Freedom School provides summer opportunities to children and youth who otherwise have limited summer options. It is focused on promoting community and parent involvement in youth’s lives. The program serves youth from ages 6 to 18 and integrates reading, conflict resolution and social action.
College aged youth and college graduates are now being sought out to help run this program as Servant Leader Interns. Servant Leader Interns will be responsible for the “front line care, and nurturing of the children and youth” of the program. They will also serve as parent and participant workshop leaders, and will hold community outreach activities.
Participants are required to participate in a mandatory June National training sessions conducted by CDF Freedom Schools national staff at the historic CDF Alex Haley Farm in Clinton, Tennessee from June 1-6, 2014.
There are minimum requirements for enrollment in the program, some including:
- Must be between 19-30 years of age, completed at least one year of college, and have plans to complete the college degree.
- Maintain or have graduated with at least a 3.0 G.P.A.
- Solid commitment to childrenʼs advocacy and enthusiasm for the ChildrenʼsDefense Fund Freedom Schools and the Roberts Family Development Center program.
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team.
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Exhibit positive and solution orientated attitude; model a mature professional demeanor.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Current (or intentions to) voter registration.
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings.
There is an informational meeting on April 5th, from 10am-2pm at 770 Darina Avenue, Sacramento CA 95815
The Youth Leader Job Pays $10-12 per hour, here is the link to the application pdf: CDF Freedom Schools Servant Leader Intern Job Description & Application_RFDC 2014 (1)
All applications can be submitted to:
Roberts Family Development Center
770 Darina Avenue, Sacramento CA 95815
or they can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org