By Katie Garner

Sacramento Metro Fire successfully gave a live fire demonstration on the dangers and proper extinguishing techniques for a stovetop grease fire today.

Using water isn’t one of them.
The first photo shows a few seconds after the grease in a pot ignited.
The second photo shows a glass of water, attached to a stick, pouring water onto the fire and the fire explosively grows.
Officials started a grease fire inside of the Rancho Cordova Inn, about to be demolished. These kinds of fires are not to be put out by water, but can be by either by covering the engulfed pan with a lid or with a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
Kati Garner is local photojournalist who posts regularly on sites such as sacpress.com. Check her more of her work out at this link.